Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Malan is born!

This morning things were progressing pretty well.  I was being medicated to induce labor while simultaneously being medicated with magnesium to prevent seizures and other medicines to get my blood pressure under control.  The doctor decided to break my water when I was 6 cm dilated.  He thought things were going to happen fast  Fode had just left to get some things from the house, so Staci called him and he quickly returned.  This was about 10 in the morning.  Well the magnesium had another plan.  Things stalled and not much happened till about 7 pm.  Then I entered the toughest part of labor the transition time.  It took Fode and Staci to both distract me to survive the strong contractions.  Finally I was 10 cm dilated and I got ready to push.  Fode was on one leg and Staci was on the other.  I weirdly got in to the process of pushing.  Things went very slow.  The doctor said it was going millimeter by millimeter.  Fode, Staci, the nurse and doctor were all cheering me on.  Fode got so excited once he was able to see the baby's head.  I knew we were close to the end when a team of nurses came in from the NICU.  They were there to check the baby after he was born to make sure he was ok.  There was concern because of the magnesium iv that I was on.  Malan came out and he immediately peed on the doctor.  The doctor laughed and said that we knew the kidney's worked.  They laid Malan on me and I started to cry.  He was so little but so strong and he seemed to know that I was his mom. It was amazing, wonderful and beautiful.

No comments: